Saturday, January 6, 2007

May Elections

Our Council Chair is complaining about May elections, saying that if the Charter passes yet the Schools don't change, that the extra election will cost us $8,000. First of all, that's 1/3 of a cent on the tax rate! You know how much that will cost you if youi have a $300,000 home? $1......$1 of your $6,648 tax bill! Is it worth $1 to gain the ability to vote on budgets and bonds? I think so, and I'm guessing you think so to.

This is the same person that voted last Tuesday to give $30,000 to the DEDC without a second thought. Just had to wait until the Councilor to DEDC Exec Director 24 hour timetable was 6 months in the rear-view mirror.

This is the same person that overrode the Administrator's budget by $2,000,000! And he's worried about $1 on your tax bill. So, the first $6,647 is OK, it's that last $1 that'll do you in, appaerntly.

Don't get me wrong, I would MUCH rather see a unified election day for Town and Schools, and I think that May makes alot of sense for many reasons, not the least of which is the weather. Remember election day 2005?

But EVEN IF the School Board takes the political route and votes NO to staying on the same election day as the Town, I still firmly believe that $1 a year is short money for puting control of spending back in the hands of the citizens.

Paul Hopfgarten

No comments: