Council Chair Brian Chirichello (who has every right to have a blog) opined on Economic Deleopment on his blog today.
He says that funding DEDC is not the end of the story. True, but it is a BIG PART of the Story. Why 5 Councilors think the DEDC deserves $0.01 in light of their performance is beyond me. First of all, when former Mayor Jack Dowd (I wonder what he's up to these days?) began to fund the DEDC (then known as DDPC), the promise was to be self-funding within 3 years. It's now 15+ years later, and we've giving them money and/or land every year.
What is the proof that public can see that the DEDC is successful? I would think that if we're investing in an organization whose measure of success is ...well...Economic Development, we'd see that. Kendall Pond Rd? Sorry, that waS FREE LAND with the proceeds of sale going to DEDC! Depot Sq Steakhouse? Sorry, that was FREE BUILDING with the proceeeds of the sale going to DEDC! (and sold at a loss to boot!)
I'm sure there's some good people in the organization, but from the Town's perspective (and that is the ONLY perspective Councilors should be looking at) it makes no sense to continue to deal with this organization if they will not open their books, including the Depot Sq Holding LLC, and cannot show ability to succeed with out the Town being the complete conduit in-out for money and land.
Brian says not giving $30,000 to DEDC putting back in the general fund would be the worst mistake the Town every made. What is his reasoning for that statement? The original idea of withholding the $$ for FY07 was that a Councilor that sat on the budget process became the Executive Director of the DEDC the NEXT DAY! I believe THAT was the main reason the money wasn't handed over originally. What harm would come from NOT giving them the $30K? NONE.
A "Blue Ribbon" commission? You've got to be kidding? I thought the town was already planning a charrette with (UNH?) similar to the one WE ALREADY DID in 1995. Yes, it was 12 yeaers ago, but I don't think all that much has changed in town since then.
Brian says there are talented people in Derry. I agree. But are those people going to want involve themselves in a process where the politicos (and anyone that doesn't think the DEDC is a majority of politcos is kidding themselves) run the show? Heck NO! I saw this in the 1995 Town charrette where the majority of those involved were the "same old people" that I have seen before and since.
The real question is how to get NEW, INDEPENDENT THINKING people involved in the process. Validating their results, regadrless of WHAT those results say would go a long way towards making the Citizens of Derry feel validated and wanting to participate in their community beyond attending Junior's soccer game.
Appointed by the Council? HA HA that's a good one Brian...yea that'll get us INDEPENDENT non-political results.
There are many reasons why CONTROLLING SPENDING is the ONLY REAL WAY to Control Taxes. If Brian can show me the long-term solutions that do not involve controlling spending, I'd like to see them.
-Paul H.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment