Monday, February 5, 2007

DEDC Exec Director cannot resist Politics

The Executive Director of the DEDC has registered a Policital group called "Community for a Better Derry" with the Secretary of State's office (Visit my web site www.derrrynh.net to see a copy of the registration document).

This IS a political organization because they have already distributed a pamphlet on the proposed changes to the Charter, a copy which is also posted (with my responses) on my web site.

One would think that the Executive Director of an organization that purports to be for economic development AND receives significant funding and (in the past) property from the Town of Derry would stay clear of local politics.

Perhaps the Executive Director should step down from his position if injecting himself in Derry Politics is so irresistable.

I think this action proves that the DEDC is more a political entity than one of economic development. They talk about the image we in Derry send to the outside (supposedly part of why the most recent former Town Administrator left), but do they really think businesses are going to want to deal with an organization whose Executive Director continues to engage in Politics?

-Paul Hofgarten

5 comments:

derry voter said...

Well, despite your "political group" assertions, the state document on your own website clearly states the FACT that Community for a Better Derry is a "Community organization for education & information of Derry citizens". How scandalous that Mr. Dowd should be involved in such activities! The pamphlet to which you refer is simply a point of view on an issue that will affect our entire community. It is no more a political position than the charter change itself.
You claim the charter change is "all about the voters", and yet you seem to fear the "voters" hearing differing opinions. Why? Are they not smart enough to form their own opinions and make their own decisions? What are YOU afraid of? Maybe in refering to the voters you mean only the voters supporting your position and your candidacy. A rather narrow view. Is your position in favor of the charter so weak that you don't feel it will stand on its own merits?
I will agree with you on one very important point, this is all about the voters. However, in my view, the voters are comprised of everyone in the community. That includes not only Jack Dowd, but also yourself and others that may have differing opinions.

derry voter said...

Say what you want about Brian Chiricello, Paul, a lot more posts on his blog, including yours, and hey, guess what? He actually resonds to people who might not happen to share his viewpoint. Doesn't seem too afraid of the voters to me. But enough about personalities, lets talk issues.
You complain about the DEDC and the $30,000 they got. How much is the state retirement system costing Derry this year? How much will it cost next and the year after that? You're a state rep, what are doing to save the taxpayer dollars on that front with the job you already have? I doubt you'll have a response, but I had to ask. I'm sure it doesn't matter much to your friends at the Alliance of Derry Taxpayers.

Paul H said...

Actually Derry Voter, Brian SELECTIVELY posted and chose not to print all of my posts.

Also, "Community for a Better Derry" has ENDORSED CANDIDATES! Where I come from (the real world), that's getting into POLITICS!

Also, Mr. Dowd was out putting up signs for the "good old boys" today.

So please don't be so claiming the "holier than thou" attitude.

I am not afraid of anything, and by your NOT STATING YOUR NAME, I would offer that you sir or madam, are the one filled with fear.

The Charter WILL ABSOLUTELY Stand on its own merits!

If Jack Dowd wants to be political, then he should NOT be part of an organization that takes Town Money!

derry voter said...

Is it so shocking that I prefer not to post my name, with people like you running around town to see who’s conspiring in such subversive activities as putting up campaign signs and having professional hatchet men who weren’t even present write letters to the editor about the seating arrangements at the school deliberative session. I thought we were still living in America and people had the right to do all these things without having their names dragged through the mud.

So, the DEDC gets $30K a year (that’s about $14/hr w/o benefits in the “real world”). They must be a group of financial geniuses for the entire organization to be able to earn a living off that. And then, for that $30k, you should give up all your rights to be involved in any group that wants to take a position on an issue in this town? Does this mean that anyone who works in the Ash St. industrial park loses these rights too because they dealt with the DEDC? What about the folks at Wal-Mart when they come to town. Do they give up their rights because the town is going to pay to improve the road that goes to their store, even though it’s been needed for years? I suppose it doesn’t matter that all 4 Ash St. lots have now been sold years ahead of schedule and that means nothing but good things for the taxpayers.

Oh, I know, the town “gave” that land to the DEDC in your book, and it doesn’t matter that the DEDC is going to now “give” the town $1.1 million well ahead of schedule. See, where I come from, that’s called working together. Shame on those “good old boys”.

And who exactly are these infamous “good old boys”? The only incumbent running for the council is Mr. Chiriciello and he’s still spent 6 years less than you have on it. I guess your just going with the old “guilt by association” theory.

And as for Community for A Better Derry’s endorsing candidates, they have at least done it publicly, out in the open, and in the newspapers, unlike your friends with the Alliance of Derry Taxpayers who prefer a more secretive and financial based approach. While it may draw attacks of being “political”, they at least put their name on what and who they believe is in the best interest on the entire community.

And while you claim to represent “the average Derry citizen”, has it ever occurred to you that may not be the same crowd you’ve been running with in town for over 15 years now? You try to make yourself sound like some kind of political legend in town politics (while still calling yourself an outsider) and yet there are a good many people in this town that weren’t even here when you started your 9 years on the council. And as far as your claims of not being beholden to special interests, what do you call The Alliance of Derry Taxpayers?

I could go on but I’m content to let the voters have the final say on you and your charter proposal on March 13.

Paul H said...

Derry Voter, you are gutless, no? Name yourself! It's awfully hard to take your comments seriously when you will not delcare who you are. You're afraid of ME? PLEASE! Do you expect anyone to fall for that crap?

First, you did not comment to my concern about Brian not posting ALL comments submitted. Why?

So I have hatchet men and Rick desn't? Is that what you're suggesting? What do you call Dave McPherson?

I did not tell anyone to write any letters, so you need to take that issue up with the letter writer.

DEDC, OK let's talk. $276,000 stolen, why wasn't that caught earlier? When Kevin Coyle claimed the DEDC was insolvent, Craig blasted him for saying so, BUT DID NOT GIVE ANY EVIDENCE to refute the claim!

The DEDC and Depot Square Holdings should either show they books publicly, or no longer seekl funding or property from the Town of Derry.

Again, the lots at Ash St were bought 5 DAYS before an election for 3 seats on the Council. Please tell me why that is NOT dirty politics?

SO, can you honestly sit there and write that Mr Metts will have a more independent view on the issues before the Town of Derry than I? Even in the 1 year of 9 where I stood as part of a majority, my voting record was more Independent than ANYONE ELSE on the Council (Look it up!)

WHOA! Now you're saying that "Community for A Better Derry " is at least endorsing 'publicly"? Do you even reads your OWN Posts? You said in the first post:

"Well, despite your "political group" assertions, the state document on your own website clearly states the FACT that Community for a Better Derry is a "Community organization for education & information of Derry citizens"

Now that this statement has been proven to be a lie, you backpeddle to say that at least it's "public"?

The fact that Mr. Dowd is the ONLY NAME official listed on ANY DOCUMENT make him the leader of this organization! Howcome there is no list of officers on the CBD website? No one seems to want to take onwnership of what is UNQUESTIONABLY a POLICITAL ORGANIZATION! I don't think ADT ever said it WASN'T political!

As far as my support, you know what? I am getting a lot of support from new residents as well.

I am NOT belholden to the ADT, DTA, GOP, ABC, CBS or NBC......

When I ran for Council in 2002, I won on MY OWN with really only ONE person helping me to get re-elected, so I am my onw man and always have been.

Not sure I see the same independence in your correspondence...